About Ebb Tides
Tony’s knowledge of seaweed, and his belief in its nutritional benefits go back a long time. He’s been eating seaweeds for much of his life. Combined with 20 years’ experience working in aquaculture & fisheries, as well as environmental protection, he knows his stuff.
We believe that simple is good. That means we don’t add anything to our products. The drying process allows us to capture the goodness so you can enjoy all the benefits.
And our ethos of simplicity goes a lot further than just our products. From how we’ve named our products through to our friendly, no-nonsense customer service – we’re all about keeping things beautifully simple.
Where does our seaweed come from?
We’re fully licensed and work closely with Natural England to ensure we harvest sustainably and ethically.
When creating our seaweed blends, we worked with Noel Corston, the pioneering, multi-award winning chef and restaurateur. His restaurant, Noel Corston@EX34 – located at the heart of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve on the North Devon Coast – has received the award for Best Restaurant in Devon over the past few years, and is also recommended in the Michelin Guide 2016.
We all know about the four basic tastes in cookery – sweet, salty, sour and bitter. But there is a fifth basic taste too – umami – a Japanese word, the definition of which is ‘a pleasant, savoury taste’. Noel is a big advocate for including the umami element in cookery, and seaweed is a great source of it.
How we harvest
We harvest mainly during the summer months when the tides allow, but we’ll also harvest year-round, depending on demand and on the species. It’s got to be in season, and just like other vegetables, it has a point in the year where taste and goodness is at its best.
Why we love seaweed
We think seaweeds are pretty amazing. Eaten by coastal people since ancient times and part of the daily diet in Asia for centuries – for good reason. Seaweeds are wholesome, delicious and a great alternative to salt.
The benefits of eating seaweeds are well-documented and widely reported as being:
- Great for digestive health – low GI, high in fibre and a probiotic
- High in nutrients, low in calories – reportedly an excellent source of calcium, iodine, folate, magnesium, and especially rich in B vitamins.
- A great weight loss tool – trials have shown that the natural fibre found in Kelp Alginate stops the body from absorbing fat better than many anti-obesity treatments currently available over the counter.
- Heart-healthy – packed with Omega-3 fatty acids which help to raise healthy HDL cholesterol levels, while lowering harmful LDL cholesterol levels.
- Hormone & thyroid friendly – high levels of iodine help regulate thyroid function.
Blue Marine Foundation
We donate 5% of all of our sales to help support the Blue Marine Foundation to help save our Oceans. Find out more here
Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it? Kick-start your seaweed habit today!