Vegan Fish & Chips Anyone …….
Here is a good old British Classical Dish Fish and Chips
The fish flavour is achieved by using Sea Lettuce Seaweed and or Laver/Nori Seaweed from our Ebb Tides Seaweeds Sea Salad pouch which can be purchased online.
- Serves: 3 People
- 400 grams tofu
- fine sea salt
- garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- Sea Lettuce seaweed and or Laver/Nori Seaweed (Laver seaweed is another name for Nori we harvest Laver in Devon)
- 1 bottle of vegan beer
- 15 tablespoons of any flour (or enough to make a pancake like batter)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- dash of pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Tartar Sauce Ingredients
- Vegan mayo
- Fine breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 and bake your chips. For the tartar sauce finely chop a few gherkins and mix together with vegan mayo.
- Add 1 bottle of beer into a large bowl, add all other batter ingredients and whisk until you get a pancake like batter.
- Cut the tofu into 1 cm thick 'fish pieces'. They won't be a long as fish pieces as the tofu will break otherwise. Sprinkle lemon juice on the tofu pieces and add garlic powder, some pepper and sea salt - season generously. Wrap into Sea Salad or Nori/Laver seaweed. The tofu will be a bit moist so the seaweed should stick to it well.
- Add a generous amount of fine breadcrumbs to a plate.
- Dunk the tofu 'fish' pieces into the batter and then move to the plate with breadcrumbs and cover well on all sides.
- Fry in hot cooking oil until golden brown.
- While that's frying cook your peas.
- When the 'fish' pieces are done transfer them to a plate that's covered with kitchen towel to absorb some of the excess oil.
- Serve everything on a plate and sprinkle some lemon juice on the 'fish' pieces for extra flavour.